What I'm up to - December 2023
December 4, 2023
This is my monthly newsletter about what I'm up to, which I send in place of social media.
What I did in November• Started writing some essays about online work, dependability, tools, and craft on the Contraption Company site. Subscribe there if you want to follow them. First essays: Booklet's Architecture, One Year of Dependable Software, and The Transition from Indiehacking to Micro Companies.
• Had a great food-focused trip through Europe with a friend. I started up north in Oslo, and ended south in Barcelona. I went to some old favorites such as Noma, April, Popl, and Dishoom, and found some new favorites such as Disfrutar and Silo (whose book I read in April). Highlights included jumping in the Oslofjord from a floating sauna, eating a food that's legal in only three countries, walking an F1 track, and seeing the Pope's old residence. I also got to meet customers of Contraption Company products along the way.
• Started a Postcard for some photography experiments - here's my favorite so far.
• Continuing to work hard on Booklet. A lot of new communities and members joined in November, and I'm working hard on some new features.
Things to share• Articles: Maybe don't drive into Manhattan. A Coder Considers the Waning Days of the Craft. SHARPE is FAANG for defense. Anti-tank Vespa. The Indie Era of Startups.
• Podcasts: Tim Cook on Dua Lipa's podcast. Brian Chesky's new playbook. Craig Mod on Longform. Lenny Rachitsky on How I Write.
• Music: MØ
• Apps: Ruter, the official transportation app for Oslo, is fantastic.
• Coffee I'm drinking: Los Pirineos Pacamara – Christmas Edition
Plans for December• Rolling out some new Booklet features.
• Working on more essays.
• Thawing in California.
Where I'll be • 22-23 Dec: Cleveland, OH
• 23-27 Dec: Joshua Tree, CA
• 27 Dec - 3 Jan: Los Angeles
If you're reading this, let me know if we overlap!
Read more →